Facebook groups are one of the most interactive avenues that make it easy for like-minded people to connect and interact. Besides, you can use a Facebook group to grow your brand. But what has a name got to do with the Facebook group?
The name of the group has a lot to do with whether people will join it or not. Thus, you can always change your Facebook group’s name to match what you find attractive to your target audience. Furthermore, Facebook allows you to name your group any name provided it doesn’t contradict Facebook's Community Standards.
Herein is a discussion on how to change the group name on Facebook. But before that;
Who Can Change Group Name on Facebook?
While changing a Facebook group name is straightforward, not everyone can do it. For you to change the group name, you must be;
- The administrator of the group or
- The creator of the group
Reasons for Changing a Group Name on Facebook
Here are some of the compelling reasons why you might need to change your Facebook group name;
- When you want to change the URL address of the group: It is easier for interested group members to find your group by its name rather than through long URL addresses. Thus, if you want easy visibility, change your group’s name. It will make it easier for your target members to find it.
- Change in preferences: Needs and preferences of your current group members will change, and they will need new discussions. If you are going to retain the group name 10 years down the line, your members may feel out of place. The group may remain boring as members search for trending topics in other groups. To avoid that, change your group’s name to reflect the trending discussions.
- Change of your group’s focus: When there is a change in your group’s focus, changing the group's name is easier than creating a new group that you will have to grow from scratch.
So, how do you change the group name on Facebook? You can change your Facebook group name through a computer or a mobile device.
Change a Facebook Group Name Using a Computer
Here are the steps to follow when changing a Facebook group name on a PC or Mac;
Step 1: Sign in to your Facebook account through your PC or Mac and find the name of the group you want to change. To maneuver easily, use the shortcuts on the left-hand side of your screen.
Step 2: Just below the group's header image, click More and Edit Group Settings.
Step 3: Under the Edit Group Settings, move your cursor next to Group Name and click into the field with your group name.
Step 4: Type your proposed new name for the group.
Step 5: Scroll downwards and click on Save.
After clicking the save button, your Facebook group should have a new name. All group members will automatically receive a notification that the group name has changed.
Change a Facebook Group Name Using a Mobile Device
The requirements remain the same whether changing the group name on Facebook using a PC or mobile device. Here is how to go about it when using an Android or iOS device;
Step 1: Launch your Facebook app and log in to your account.
Step 2: On your Facebook home screen, tap on the three horizontal lines (Menu icon) found at the top right corner of your screen.
Step 3: Select Groups and then tap on the name of your Facebook group. If you’re experiencing difficulties tracing the group, tap on Your Groups and scroll downwards to Groups You Manage.
Step 4: At the far right corner of the screen, tap on the icon looking like a shield. In the pop-up menu that will appear, tap on Group Settings.
Step 5: Next, choose Name and Description.
Step 6: Tap on the field that has the name of your group and type your preferred group name.
Step 7: Once you are done, click the Save button at the top.
Your Facebook group now has a new name, and group members will receive a notification about the new name.
- It might not be possible to change your Facebook group name when your group has attained 5000 members. Facebook groups with 5000 members are considered public groups, and the members can be identified with the group name. Thus, Facebook discourages changing the name of such groups to avoid abuse.
- You can only change your group name on Facebook once in 28 days.
Facebook groups create the perfect platform for people to interact and connect. Besides, you can use the groups to run campaigns for your brand or create awareness. However, the success of your campaigns or people’s interactions depends on the group name. Thus, changing your Facebook group name is inevitable; you can do it from a PC or mobile device!